As part of the sustainability of the IPEV project (2017-2021), coordinated by the FMSH, the Union of Mediterranean Universities (UNIMED) is organizing a capacity building activity for doctoral students and postdoctoral researchers registered in institutions of Higher Education or Research Centers.
The capacity-building activity will be organized during the UNIMED week in Brussels that will be held in March or May 2022. If health requirements due to COVID19 pandemic allow travels and stay, the activity will be held in presence, otherwise it will be organized online.
The UNIMED week in Brussels is a forum for discussion and networking, an occasion for UNIMED associates to meet European and international institutions and learn more about their current and future programs. Learn more on the past UNIMED week editions.
Topics of the capacity building activity
- European Commission funding opportunities for Southern Mediterranean Research institutions
- Funding opportunities with donors
- Methodology of international application writing
- Strengthening of communication and dissemination skills on research
- Internationalization and Research in the Mediterranean region
Selected participants will attend the capacity-building activity and some of the UNIMED week sessions.
In addition, trainees will have the opportunity to present their research to the UNIMED week participants during the different workshop that will be organized.
After the selection, online mentoring activities will be organized before the UNIMED week in order to prepare the capacity building activity (i.e.: ice breaking session, presentation of each participant, presentation of IPEV project…).
After the capacity building session, online follow-up activities will be organized (open desk for Q/A sessions, orientation for potential initiatives)
If case the international context consents the organization on the field, travel and cost expenses will be covered by the programme.
This activity is opened to PhD students or postdoctoral researchers originating/affiliated to a HEI or research center Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Palestine, Tunisia and Syria.
The current research of the candidates have to be related to exiting violence issues, as:
- Radicalization and De-radicalization
- Gender and Violence against women
- Uses and Misuses of Memory: role of memory, memorials, and narratives in sustaining or ending violence in the Middle East North Africa region, with a specific focus on Palestine and Israel.
- Governance issues and public Policies Against Violence
- Reconciliation and Justice
- Roles of Strong States and Weak States in the Production of Violence in the Arab World
- Reconstructing the Self
- Seizing the Opportunities Created by the Pandemic Crisis: Emergence in the MENA Region of New Models of Governance and Leadership
- The role of Civil society, youth and academia in reducing violence in the MENA region
Applicants must be regularly registered in a PhD programme or have obtained their PhD and presented their thesis from 2016.
Candidates must have a good understanding/expression of English. No language certificate is required for the application but a good command of this language is mandatory. The maximum number of participants is 10 to 12 students.
Participants’ expected contributions
Participants are expected to provide the FMSH and the UNIMED with an article presenting their experience that will be disseminated through FMSH and UNIMED social networks.
Applicants will be required to submit sent their application to both email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com, with the following object: IPEV/ application for CB activity.
- Curriculum Vitae with the list of publications
- Letter of motivation
- For PhD students: a certificate of registration of the University
- For postdoctoral researcher: the PhD diploma and a letter confirming the position within the university or the research institution
A selection committee composed with members of FMSH and UNIMED will analyse and proceed to final selection of applications regarding the following criteria:
- Geographical balance between target countries
- Balance between the scientific disciplines and candidate experience
- Opening of the call: September 2nd, 2021
- Deadline for application: October 19th 2021, 17:00 (Paris time)
- Selection process: October 19th – Mid November 2021
- Announcement of the results: Mid November 2021