[Closed] Call for applications | Atlas 2022 | Horn of Africa > France
Deadline : 25th March 2022
The Fondation Maison des sciences de l’homme (FMSH) and the Centre français des études éthiopiennes (French Center for Ethiopian Studies, CFEE) offer a short-term fellowship of two to three month in France for postdoc researchers from the Horn of Africa (Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti and Somaliland).
Projects in line with the CFEE's scientific policy will be supported:
1. Long-term environment, exchanges, and techniques
2. Materialities, written cultures, and oral history
3. Social and political transformations in the contemporary Horn of Africa
4. Interdisciplinary axes :
-Ethiopian heritage in the making
-Women and gender in the Horn of Africa: constructions and social dynamics
This research stay is designed to enable researchers to conduct research studies in France: field enquiries, library and archives work.
This call is part of the Atlas short-term postdoctoral mobility programme offered by the FMSH and its partners.
Laureates will receive a monthly stipend of 1 600 € (paid at the beginning of each month of stay). This financial contribution is intended to cover expenditure such as transport and accommodation costs.
Nationality: This program is open to researchers originating from Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti and Somaliland and affiliated with an institution of higher education and research or a public or private research institute based in one of these countries.
Educational Degree: Applicants must have obtained their PhD doctorate and presented their thesis from 2016.
Theme: Applicants must be involved in research in social and human sciences.
French host institution: Before submitting their application, applicants will have to find a French research institution to host them for the time of their stay. Applicants will have to provide a letter from the hosting institution addressed to the FMSH and the CFEE expressing the institution’s willingness to host the applicant during the time of fellowship and explaining the work conditions offered.
Within 30 days after their stay, laureates will have to provide the FMSH and the CFEE with a report presenting the work done during their stay and the benefits for their research project.
Applicants will be required to submit an online application form and a scientific dossier. The online application form will be available on the FMSH website as of January 17th, 2022. Completed proposals can be uploaded to the application portal at any time before the application deadline of March 25th, 2022, 17:00 (Paris time).
Online application and scientific dossier can be submitted in French or English.
Content of scientific dossier
- The research proposal (a short presentation from 10 000 characters to 20 000 characters, spaces and references included) is composed with:
1/ State of art, problematic, objective and specific aim of the research project, methodology.
2/ A bibliography
3/ The detailed programme of the research stay (places and institutions to be visited, contacts, workplan).
- A Curriculum vitae (2 pages maximum)
- A list of publications
- A copy of the PhD diploma
- A letter from the director of the research institution in the country of origin
- A letter of invitation from the director of the host research institution in France expressing the institution’s willingness to host the applicant during the time of fellowship and explaining the work conditions they can offer
How to apply?
- Reach the online application form and enter «Researcher Workspace».
- You have to be registered on the online platform in order to use it. If you haven’t created an account yet, you will be asked to.
- Create your profile by filling all your personal information and then enter “create a new application”.
- Select “Programme Atlas incoming 2022” and then the specific call « FMSH-CFEE: Horn of Africa > France ».
- Fill all the information tabs.
- In the “Documents” final tab, you will need to upload your research application into one single PDF document:
- Research proposal
- Curriculum vitae (2 pages maximum)
- List of publications
- Copy of the PhD diploma
- Letter from the director of the research institution in Romania
- Letter of invitation from the director of the host research institution in France
7. You can save your application and complete it later several times if you wish, until the closure of the call for applications. Once you have submitted your application, you will no longer have the possibility to amend it. Once submitted, you will receive an automatic email confirming the submission. Applications not submitted, incomplete application forms or applications that do not match the above description will not be taken into account.
For any information on the platform or in case of you meet difficulties to use it, please contact email@example.com
Evaluation process and criteria
A selection committee composed with members of FMSH, IFRA and independent experts will analyse and proceed to final selection of applications regarding the following criteria:
- The quality of the scientific dossier and the methodology developed
- The relevance of a research stay in France regarding the scientific project and the candidate curricula
- The ability to identify scientific contacts in France
Candidates that have never benefited from the programme will be prioritized.
Candidates will be informed by email of the results in early April 2022.
Opening of the call: January 17th, 2022
Deadline for application: March 25th, 2022, 17:00 (Paris time)
Selection process: mid-March – mid-April 2022
Announcement of the results: from early April 2022
Duration of the fellowship: 2 to 3 months
Fellowships periods of stay: From May to December 2022. The Research stay must start no later than October 1st, 2022.
Number of months offered for this call: 5
Contact and information
FMSH : Mr Vlad BERINDEI firstname.lastname@example.org
CFEE: Marie Bridonneau email@example.com