The Fondation MSH’s Center for International Research, Hosting, and Cooperation for High-Level Foreign Researchers.
Maison Suger: Reception
Located in Paris’ historical Latin Quarter, the Maison Suger was created by the Fondation Maison des Sciences de l’Homme (literally, House of the Sciences of Man Foundation) in 1990 in order to give foreign researchers in the social and human sciences needing to spend time in Paris – for long periods in the framework of collaborations with French and foreign teams and researchers – a working and living environment adapted to their needs. It also strives to promote exchanges between researchers from all disciplines and nationalities in order to generate fresh perspectives and new projects/programs of scientific cooperation.
The FMSH covers nearly one-third of the Maison Suger’s overall operating costs. This enables the Maison to offer the best possible living and working conditions to all foreign researchers who spend time at this institution.
The Maison Suger is managed by a team. They maintain the welcome desk and offer scientific support to invited researchers.
Each year, Maison Suger submits an activities report to the International Board in charge of ensuring that the Maison operates according to the wishes of its founders and of making suggestions regarding new policy directions.
Since December 2007, the Maison Suger has been housing most of the infrastructures of the Institute of Advanced Studies-Paris.
Maison Suger’s donors
• Chancellery of Parisian Universities
• French Ministry of National Education, Higher Learning, and Research
• French Ministry of Culture and Communication
• City of Paris
• Norwegian Ministry of Research
• Austrian Ministry of Science and Research
• Russian Academy of Sciences
• Swedish Council on Research in the Social and Human Sciences
• Volkswagen-Stiftung, Hanovre
• Fritz Thyssen Stiftung, Cologne
• Deposit and Consignement Office, Paris
• Insurance Union of Paris
• Crédit Industriel et Commercial, Paris
• Cambridge University Press, Cambridge
• Bank of France, Paris
• Mrs. Annette Schlumberger, Paris
• Pr. Louis Dumont, Paris
• Pr. Rudolf Vierhaus, Göttingen
• Mrs. Fernand Braudel, Paris
• Pr. Luis C. Bresser Pereira, Sao Paolo
• Pr. Burkart Lutz, Munich
The Fondation Maison des Sciences de l’Homme is a state-approved institution. Created by the 4 January 1963 modified decree, the Foundation is authorized to receive financial contributions.
Maison Suger’s International Council
• Hélène Ahrweiler, Rector of the Paris’Academy, President of the University of Europe, Paris
• Georges Dertilis, Professor, University of Athens
• Etienne François, Professor, University of Paris I
• György Granasztoi, Professor, Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest
• Hans-Jürgen Lüsebrink, Professor, Saarland University, Sarrebruck
• Bo Öhngren, Professor, Uppsala University
• Rector, Academy of Paris
• Administrator, Fondation Maison des Sciences de l’Homme
• Director, Maison Suger
• Representative, Volkswagenwerk Foundation
• Representative, Norwegian Council of Social Sciences
• Joachim Nettelbeck, Wissenschaftskolleg, Berlin