The mission of the FMSH Entre-Sciences programme is to encourage the dialogue between disciplines and foster integrative approaches in sciences.
In a context where social responsibility is increasingly emphasized, science seeks to respond to complex and multifaceted problems. The scientific high-impact social, economic and cultural topics are generally the object of complementary multidisciplinary or interdisciplinary type approaches, not only within the field of natural sciences, but also across the gap that separates traditionally the humanities and social sciences from the so called "hard" sciences.
The primary goal of the Entre-Sciences program, set up in 2007 in the context of Foundation Maison des sciences de l’Homme (a “public utility” foundation placed under the aegis of the Ministry of Research), is to facilitate the dialogue between researchers coming from a wide variety of disciplinary and national backgrounds and give the widest possible diffusion of these exchanges.
The program seeks to:
- Create synergies between researchers in natural & physical sciences and researchers in the humanities & social sciences by creating spaces (conferences, workshops) where they can meet
- Foster approaches summoning knowledge from different disciplinary backgrounds
- Reflect on: integrative approaches in science, analyze the circulation and transferability of concepts and "tools" through the disciplinary boundaries, make proposals to facilitate the implementation of multi-and interdisciplinary approaches.
- Coordination of the international conferences: "Integrated Science & Technology Conference Program" (ISTP), taking place in France and in other European countries. The ISTP conference series are focused on three main themes: Environment, Cognition, Knowledge Society. They are coordinated within the framework of partnership agreements between FMSH and international scientific institutions (International Council for Science, International Council for Social Sciences, European Science Foundation) and between FMSH and French universities (Pierre et Marie Curie University, Paul Cézanne Aix-Marseille 3 University)
- Scientific coordination of the monthly “FMSH science cafés”
- Video-recording of the Entre-Sciences events, which are freely accessible online on the FMSH Audiovisual Archives of Research website
- Management of the Entre-Sciences Blog