The Audiovisual Research Archives (ARA) Program was created in 2002 by the Cognitive Semiotics and New Medias Team (ESCoM) at the Fondation Maison des Sciences de l’Homme.
The ARA Program’s Five Missions
• Build digital scientific and cultural heritage using modern audiovisual technologies (filming scientific and cultural events, digitization of audiovisual documents, post-production work and online publishing).
• Semiotic and computer engineering of the ARA Program’s audiovisual and multimedia collections: create and manage descriptive ontologies; indexing, description and translation of specific corpuses.
• Publish audiovisual recordings related to scientific and cultural heritage in the form of thematic multimedia sites using various publication genres (video libraries, hypermedia encyclopedias, hypermedia folders, etc) for a multilingual and multicultural audience.
• Create and develop scientific resources and appropriate technical tools on one hand, and produce and manage multimedia archives by describing, indexing, and publishing audiovisual collections online on the other.
• Set up partnerships with public and private organizations with the goal of better promoting and diffusing scientific and cultural knowledge online.